Friday, December 20, 2013

Profiling Sucks!

I am sure most people have heard of racial profiling.  Some of you, myself included, have been profiled due to our minority status.  I cannot stand racial profiling!  I know that people judge me all the time, but I wish it had more to do for my abilities rather than my presumed abilities because of my skin tone.  This week I was profiled, not because of my skin tone, but more my lack of presumed athletic ability.

I am on a quest to find a goo that is tolerable, made of real ingredients that I can pronounce and are not created in some chemistry lab.  I had asked someone I knew several months ago about such a product, and he told me about one he uses, but I forgot what it was.  I was in a natural supplements store and figured that they might be helpful in this department.  I explained to the staff that I participated in endurance races, and what I was looking for.  The staff looked at me and explained that they had some products, but I would not need endurance gels as those are only for people who do half marathons and more.  Since I am only doing short races, I should worry about my electrolytes.  I tried to explain more and more that I was interested in the endurance gels, and that I was a half marathoner and had another race coming up soon.  I really was interested in the gels and wanted to know where they were.  Where was I led?  To the electrolyte drink mixes, which I had already explained I was not interested in.  I ended up finding the gels on my own, with the staff again reminding me that those were of no use to me since they are for people who do long distances. 

I don't have the body of someone you would expect to be athletic.  But I have a body, and I know how to make it move, and I DO!  Needless to say, I did not buy anything gel related at this store.  I am sure there are other places where I can have my needs met and be respected as a person. 

This is not my only experience in the land of profiling.  I strongly dislike going to one of the running stores in my home town because of the same treatment.  In fact, I typically shop at a local store in Seattle, WA for my needs as they see me as a human and treat me as such.  I have enough doubts and insecurities on my own.  But I am up, moving, and going!  Catch me if you can :)

71 days til Phoenix!

No comments:

Post a Comment