Saturday, May 3, 2014

Donations Requested for Special Olympics

I am going to take a moment to talk about someone near and dear to me.  This is Kendra.  You will recognize her as the person I did my first half marathon with.  Here we are today, picking up our race packets for the 12K on Sunday, and I just volunteered her to rappel 20 stories off a building here in town for the Special Olympics.  Good thing she was willing! 

You see, the Special Olympics has always been very near and dear to Kendra's heart.  She has spent a lot of time working with people who live with special needs of all sorts.  Even during her youth, she was often volunteering her time to assist others that are often overlooked by society.  During my recovery from knee surgery, she was the main person who helped make sure my needs were met.  When Kendra first heard about this fundraiser a few years ago, she was not in a position to attempt the rappel.  Today is a different story.  She is ready and willing.  And with a $25 donation from me to secure her spot, she now has a chance to really make this happen.

What I am asking is that you look into your hearts, and your wallets, and consider donating to her cause.  $650 is what it takes for one athlete to have training, equipment, and competition through the Special Olympics for one year.  $650 is what Kendra must raise to be able to rappel off the 20 story building.  I hate heights!  I will take pictures from the safety of the ground below.  But for Kendra, this is exciting, and for a wonderful cause.  Every little bit adds up, and will go to support an athlete and their dreams.

Click here to support Kendra and the Special Olympics of Washington.

Kendra's rappel date is Friday June 27th. 
Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment