Sunday, September 21, 2014

Glow Run 5k Recap

Last night I did another 5K.  This was called Glow Run, and it was similar to the Electric Run I did in August.  Chewy joined me on this adventure, and I am so glad she did.  I have been lazy, but she pushed me, reminding me that I am not so bad off as I think I am, and that Everett is coming very soon so I better get my butt into gear!

Glow Run was held in my hometown and starts in downtown.  The route was one that I do frequently with friends as it cuts through the center of town, through a university campus, and along a river.  It is a busy trail, but one that I know very well.  Yesterday was the inaugural run of this race, and so much was learned by the race officials.  There was not as much glow stuff as Electric Run, but this was also a local organization putting on a race, not a national group who travels around the country.  For their first time out, this was perfect.  Actually, I liked this one much more than Electric Run.  While there was so much more to look at during Electric Run, the course is flat and boring.  Glow Run was lacking in visual stimulation, but the path was fun and could be viewed as challenging for those on their first 5K.  Small hills, uneven terrain, bridges, narrow pathways, but it was fun because it was not flat the entire time.  I don't mind a flat half marathon, but I do like a 5K with some elevation changes. 

Chewy and I decided that we would give it our all.  We ran and walked the entire race.  I did not know how well I would hold up on the running, but I did great!  Chewy is in the middle of soccer season, so is in rather decent shape.  I, not so much, yet I still walk a fair amount regularly.  We figure that our 5Ks are going to start becoming more of a running type thing with less walking the more and more we do them.  I am excited about this.  I did not start the half marathon adventures with the intention of becoming a runner, but this is a perk. 

I am not sure that we will have any other 5Ks together this year.  I will say that Everett is in exactly 3 weeks!  I am feeling good about it, although nervous.  I have not done a half since June, and so I feel a little less prepared than I should.  This will be great for me though as it will show me where I need to improve for the Seattle a month later. 

Still taking suggestions for my birthday race :)


No comments:

Post a Comment