Sunday, September 7, 2014

Summer Slacking

So much going on, and so little typing.  My last half was the Seattle Rock n Roll.  My walking slowed down some due to taking some highly accelerated courses this summer, handling Chewy's softball schedule, and the blazing heat wave we had that made most days unbearable!  But I did do a couple 5Ks to keep the summer fun.

Dirty Dash 2014 was great.  I had done this race last year, in much worse shape than I am in now.  How do I know I am in better shape?  I was able to handle some of the obstacles with ease compared to last summer.  We went as a group, and joined another group as well.  Such a wonderful bit of fun for us, and a reminder to me that I am doing well to keep moving.

Electric Run 2014 was also a repeat.  I had done this race with Chewy, and we decided to go for it again.  This course is flat and easy for anyone, no training required.  The glowing surroundings were not as extravagant as last summer's display, but we still had a wonderful time.  I could see myself jogging this race in the future.  This race was the first 5K a friend of ours had ever done.  We were very proud of him and his accomplishment.  I also bought a brand new pair of shoes for myself the day of this race, using this race as a way of knowing if I liked the shoes for sure or not.  I like my shoes!

So what is on the race docket?  Glow Run is a 5K in my own town that is happening soon.  I will be taking part in this race, with or without Chewy, but I will be joined by a friend.  In addition, my half marathon schedule is starting to pick up.  I am currently registered for the Seattle Half Marathon in November.  I am also looking at doing a half in Everett in October.  I was going to do the Spokane Half in October, but they have such a small group doing the race that I do not see this as a positive experience for me.  I have learned that I enjoy the larger races.  I feed off of people around me as participants or cheering.  On another positive, the lady I met in Phoenix is doing the race in Everett, so we can meet again. 

I am also taking suggestions for a March race.  I feel that the birthday race needs to be tradition.  It was a beautiful way to honor myself, and the changing of the seasons from Winter into Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment